Wednesday, February 03, 2010

OFF THE LECTIONARY -
I am going off the Lectionary this week. Infact, last Sunday, I did the calling of Simon. This week is Scout Sunday and also Souper Bowl Sunday. As is tradition here, where I am serving, on Scout Sunday, usually a story or two have been read, with a brief reflection geared to the Cub Scouts.
By sheer providence, as I perused Amazon, as I am wont to do and have to practice restraint from ordering since my budget doesn't allow for much, I had a list of a few books I and my budget would allow. When, somehow, I happened upon a book, "14 Cows For America" by Carmen Deedy based on a true story of Wilson kimeli Naiyomah about the gift of a Maasai tribe to the United States following 9/11. The artwork is really gorgeous as well, illustrated by Thomas Gonzalez. So, intrigued by it, I ordered it and found it true to the reviews. It will be the story I share this Sunday and offer words on compassion.
Little did I know, when I ordered the book, thinking it might work for a children's message some time ( although a bit too long for that), that I would be using it so soon. Truly, it was providence.
It is a very moving story about the gift of compassion from the Maasai to America that is little known. Hope you have a chance to check it out sometime.

No comments: