Monday, February 27, 2012

This morning, I heard a sound that I haven't heard for many months, about six months infact. It was the trill of a red-winged blackbird in the meadow behind our house. What a delight to hear once again! I saw a red-winged blackbird out of our kitchen window on the shepherds hook in my herb garden.
The red-winged blackbird is the true harbringer of spring and the first sign of spring - aside from tulip, daffodil, hyacinth and crocus leaves that are sprouting up all over and have been the past few weeks. It is still February and the blackbirds are here!
I thrill to hear the call of the blackbird and to watch them glide to a
landing in the meadow.
I look forward to hearing the song of the meadowlark who, perhaps, will not be too far behind.
There is an awakening from the sleeply doldrums of winter and I feel it within me as well.
Welcome, Spring!

No comments: