RGBPS' FRIDAY FIVE - FRIENDSHIP
Many of us have friendships - past and present - with these same qualities. And so today we will celebrate Friday with friendship:
1) Do you remember your first best friend? What did you do together? Are they still in your life?
Depends how far back. Had one best friend, Denise, further up the block from us up until first grade when we moved two blocks away and we got split into different class groups - fast, medium and slow. i was in fast and she in slow. Played games outside, all kinds of tag, and with stuff in each other's homes.
2) Did you ever have to move away or have your best friend move away from you?
Yes, after HS, my best friend got married and moved to Kansas. After several years, three marriages, we lost contact.
3) Are there people in your life now that you can call 'friend'?
My best friend from Seminary who lives on the East Coast so we don't see each other very often, although we talk on the phone frequently. Also, my Seminary roommate, who lives on the West Coast and talk infrequently but send email.
My BFF is my sister.
4) What are some of your favorite things to do with your friends?
Visit them. Can't do much when you live so far apart. I miss that. A lot.
Shopping, lunch, just hanging out.
5) What is a gift friendship has given you?
Support, encouragement, understanding, strength, joy. I do miss
my friends. Pretty tough in ministry when so much time and energy is spent
with parishioners. Doesn't leave much time for cultivating and keeping
friendship in the "normal" sense. Far from families and friends, full days
and weeks with only one day off, is it any wonder, clergy are lonely people.