Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Revgalblopals' Friday Five - Family Trees

Playing along late as usual!

1. Do you have any interest in geneaology?
Yes, I do. My uncle did a lot of work on our geneaoloy. Too bad it
was all hand written (hard to decipher) and in German.

2. Which countries did your ancestors come from?
Switzerland. That's it, pretty much. Land of alps, watches, cheese
and the best chocolate on earth!

3. Who is the farthest back ancestor whose name you know?
From around the time of Napoleon, on my Dad's side. This ancestor
was the headgroomsmen for a local Count whose castle is still
standing, quaint as ever with a moat in the neighboring town from
where both my parents were born. I've been to the castle a few
times and obviously, with present cousins in the horse business,
training, schooling and been in the Olympics, obviously that branch
of the family has had an affinity for horses!

4. Any favorite saints or sinners in the group?
I'm sure there must be some. Probably more sinners. A grandfather
whose business went bust, who liked to ride the trains and enjoy wine
and cigars and meeting people. A grandmother who raised a brood of eight
with her savings. This grandma was adopted and only in the last 20 years did
it come out that her "godmother" was really her birthmother. (I am sure it
was a young unmarried woman who was the birthmom) A grandmother who raised her child as a widow with nary
much income.

5. What would you want your descendants to remember about you?
There won't be any direct descendants to remember me, as we have no children.
On LH's side none had children either and there branch will die out with
the death of LH and siblings.
I doubt I will be remembered much by anyone (perhaps, my niece & nephew will
think fondly of me.)
I guess to be remembered for having loved God, loved as well as she
could, served as faithfully as she was able, delighted in creation,
knew the joy of her salvation, and loved her greys.

Bonus: a song, prayer, or poem that speaks of family--blood or chosen--to you.

No comments: