Monday, October 06, 2008

INCREDIBLE EDIBLE MEME:

As seen at Lutheran Chick's "L" Word and therefore, tagged.
Bolded means I've tried it.

1. Venison. Love it! If I ever hit one, I'm claiming it!!!!
2. Nettle tea.
3. Huevos rancheros.
4. Steak tartare. Had it at home and in Switzerland
5. Crocodile. Tastes like chicken!!!! Almost.
6. Black pudding. My people call it Bluetwurst, too. Not for me. LH really likes it.
7. Cheese fondue. MMmmm...made the Swiss way with lots of cloves of garlic, crusty french bread, and a touch of kirsch. Raclette is also very good and eaten with boiled potatoes. I even like to make grilled cheese sandwhich with Raclette cheese in the broiler. Smelly cheese is tasty!
8. Carp.
9. Borscht. Had it at a church I served. Bleech!!!
10. Baba ghanoush.
11. Calamari. Have made it myself!
12. Pho. No.
13. PB&J sandwich. Although, I had to have been in Jr. Hi before I ever had a PBJ sandwich. My Swiss folks never cared for it and we didn't even have it in the house. Every once in a while, I'll make one for myself.
14. Aloo gobi. That's a mystery.
15. Hot dog from a street cart.
16. Epoisses. Huh?
17. Black truffle. Other fungi, yes - procini, morelle, etc.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes.
19. Steamed pork buns.
20. Pistachio ice cream. Does pistachio pudding count?
21. Heirloom tomatoes. I guess the ones my Mom planted which are
not always easy to find anymore, might qualify.
22. Fresh wild berries. One of the best things on earth - fresh raspberries. Have picked, bought them already picked. Also picked blackberries.
23. Foie gras. Not a huge fan.
24. Rice and beans. Like rice, not a bean fan.
25. Brawn, or headcheese. Again, a Swiss-Germanic thing. My folks loved it. I hated it. Yuck, made from pigs head.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper.
27. Dulce de leche.
28. Oysters. Make mine Rockefeller!
29. Baklava. Now here's a sweet and tasty treat.
30. Bagna cauda. Never heard of it.
31. Wasabi peas.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl. Hearty soup for a winter's day.
33. Salted lassi.
34. Sauerkraut. Ach, ja, mit cervelet und bratwurst!
35. Root beer float. Was a big thing in the early '70's, got over it.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar. How about just the cognac and nix the cigar?
37. Clotted cream tea. It doesn't even sound appealing. Make my tea natur.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O. Sounds like a college thing to do.
39. Gumbo.
40. Oxtail. Makes a great soup, and for wonderful Osso Bucco. Excuse me, Osso Bucco is made with veal shanks and not oxtail. A simple lapse of body parts!!!
41. Curried goat.
42. Whole insects. I have my limits!
43. Phaal. What?
44. Goat's milk. Nope. Cheese made from goat's milk. I've had unpasteurized milk and a horrible tasting pasteurized milk direct from the milkman in Switzerland. We put Suchard Express (chocolate milk powder) into it to kill the taste. Finally, the milk in the box was SO much better!!
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$130 or more. How about some for a bit less $$? It's been smooth.
46. Fugu.
47. Chicken tikka masala.
48. Eel. Haven't ever eaten it and most likely won't. However, I do like my eelskin wallets and an eelskin purse would be nice.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut. My greyhound's favorite sweet snack. I like the chocolate custard ones myself.
50. Sea urchin.
51. Prickly pear. Pretty sure I've had the jelly.
52. Umeboshi. Huh?
53. Abalone. Mom made it once. It was just like rubber. The one inedible meal she ever cooked.
54. Paneer.
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal. Sometimes when we're on the road travelling we might get one and probably once a year otherwise.
56. Spaetzle. Knoepfli. One of my very favorite foods. Kinda messy to make, but delish. The Betty Bossi Spaetzli Maker helps and she even has a recipe for spinach spaetzli which are really great.
57. Dirty gin martini.
58. Beer above 8% ABV. I'm pretty sure I have some or one along the way.
59. Poutine.
60. Carob chips. Yup, used to use them when I made dog cookies.
61. S'mores. Sometimes I'll still make one in the microwave!
62. Sweetbreads. Use them in Pastaetli. Was a traditional Christmas Eve dinner at our house growing up. It always looked and smelled wonderful in it's delicious white cream sauce all poured into a flaky pastry shell.
63. Kaolin.
64. Currywurst. I've had wurst and I've had curry - just not together!
65. Durian.
66. Frogs' legs. Mmmm...tastes just like chicken!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake. No, no, yes, no.
68. Haggis. Had it in Scotland and it was very tasty and good as long as you don't think too much about what it is.
69. Fried plantain. Does fried banana count? Dad used it in his African Country Chop
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette. I don't think so!
71. Gazpacho.
72. Caviar and blini. Can live without it.
73. Louche absinthe.
74. Gjetost, or brunost.
75. Roadkill.
76. Baijiu.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie.
78. Snail. Mostly as escargot!!! Tasty.
79. Lapsang souchong.
80. Bellini.
81. Tom yum.
82. Eggs Benedict. Enjoy them at least once a year when I make them New Year's Day.
83. Pocky.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef.
86. Hare. Make mine Rabbit! Grew up with it and still make it from time to time. Usually it's domestic.
87. Goulash.
88. Flowers.
89. Horse. Had plenty of opportunity in Europe, just can't bring myself to do so.
90. Criollo chocolate. Don't know this chocolate. Make mine Swiss chocolate.
91. SPAM. Ughh, had it when we camped once or twice. I don't care for it and won't eat it.
92. Soft shell crab.
93. Rose harissa.
94. Catfish. Best Catfish I ever had was in Natchez, Mississippi at the Magnolia Grill or Restaurant or something like that, right by the Miss River. It was just the best ever.
95. Mole poblano. I've had them in the yard, but never eatin' 'em.
96. Bagel and lox. Love bagels not so much the lox, just too limpy and tastes like raw fish. Give me smoked salmon from Ewig Bros. in Port Washington, Wisconsin any day!!!
97. Lobster Thermidor. Love lobster anyway you cook it!
98. Polenta. Italian corn meal mush!!!
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.
100. Snake.

Bonus round: Most unusual food you've ever eaten: Brains, when Mom substituted them for sweetbreads, not the same. Gemsbock, wild boar, Kudu, Arctic Char, Kingclip, Dolmades, strong mutton stew (in Greece), & Buendnerfleisch - air dried beef.

If you've read this consider yourself tagged! And provide a link to your place!

No comments: