Friday, January 25, 2013

NEVER AGAIN FRIDAY FIVE -

Perhaps you have tried something that everyone assured you was SO MUCH FUN!!! and you swore on a stack of Bibles that you would never ever be dragged to said activity ever again. Was it horseback riding? Rappelling? Ballet class when you were 7?

So share with us 5 Supposedly Fun Things You'll Never EVER Do Again. You may find some commiserating souls among us. A bonus if you share pictures.

1. White water rafting - I rafted the New River once. It was a 2 day trip with
class 4 rapids. Paddling toward impending doom is not my
idea of great fun.

2. Kayaking - tried it on Lake Michigan. Needs a lot of balance. I was promptly
overturned and dumped into the Lake. I'd rather swim than kayak
any day.

3. Sailing in a wee Sunfish - once in Seminary with a colleague off Cape Cod. We
went out further from shore than I was comfortable
with. A huge ocean in a tiny boat. Once was enough.

4. Driving to Key West - it wasn't so much the driving, but the driving OVER the
bridges OVER the water that unnerved me. I had the driving
shift that lead us over bridges and bridges. On the way
back, LH drove and I kept my head in a book. Driving over
high bridges over water is a bit of a phobia for me.

5. Making my own Hummus - followed the recipe exactly, from soaking chickpeas
overnight, and adding Tahini. LH and I sat down to dinner
on a very hot summer evening with no air conditioning and
tried to eat the mortar I made. Impossible. You could've
used that hummus to lay bricks! First and last time I
tried to make it. Now you can buy it ready made at the
grocery store and soft enough to actually eat!!!!

Observation - 4 out of the 5 involve water. I love water. I love to swim. Apparently,
it's being in a boat that I can't control that's the issue. Also,
high bridges over water or watery gorges aren't my thing at all.
Funny, cruising on a big boat doesn't bother me at all.

3 comments:

Teri said...

if you ever decide to try hummus again, go for canned chickpeas--one can drained, one not. then add tahini (not too much...I actually just put in 1/4 c sesame seeds instead and blend it all together), 1/4 lemon juice, a couple Tablespoons of olive oil, and 2-3 whole cloves of garlic. if it's too thick, slowly add lemon juice or olive oil until it seems about right. :-) top with Zatar and you're good to go!

In a high-speed blender it takes about 3 minutes. Which, of course, is twice as long as it takes to pick it up at the store. (says the girl who often just goes to the mediterranean restaurant and gets a carry-out container of hummus!)

PrJoolie said...

Don't give up on hummus, it's easy in a blender with canned chickpeas. Though there's nothing wrong with buying it, either. We all need to know our limits.

Deb said...

Kudos to you for handling a big boat. Not no way not now how for me. And if it's any consolation, the last hummus I tried to make was quite mortar-y as well...

Thanks for playing! :)