Thursday, January 15, 2009

ARCTIC CHILL

Brrrrrrrrr...It's colder than cold here. A taste of pure arctic air!
I never made it into the office today. The state highway was totally snowcovered and icy. Not even tracks down to the pavement. This state route (2 lane) is hilly and curvy. There was no way, I was going to be able to negotiate the road. For all of three hours in the office today, it wasn't worth the risk.
I feel so bad about the Old Folks Home worship service last night. It started to snow in the afternoon while I was making a visit to a homebound parishioner. As I left, the main road in the village was not in good shape. I was on my way to next bigger town to make a visit in the nursing home there. I was on the Famous President Highway (4 lanes) and it was awful. Just at the stoplight with another state route where I make a turn, the traffic was all backed up. There was a multi-vehicle accident due to the slippery conditions. I finally got through that with the snowing falling fast and at a good clip when I decided that if I was going to make it home, I had best begin the journey. It took me over an hour to get home and this state route was better than the one I usually take. My tires were on pavement most of the way home. It continued to snow through the evening and I was thankful that I made it home in one piece.
Although, those who know me well, know that I often drive 5 mph over the limit, usually on the interstate. I always obey school zones and when the weather is bad, I will not speed. There have been days when I've driven 35-45 mph in the winter when the road is snow covered depending on how slick it is. I was passed twice yesterday while driving a respectable 40 mph which I felt was safe given the conditions and maintaining assured clear distance.
I have my sermon and prayers finished. I will work on the annual meeting prayers and Lenten breakfast devotion I'll be leading during Lent. Plus, if I am ambitious enough, working on "Are You Smarter than a Session Member?" for our Joy or Holy Humor Sunday, the Sunday after Easter.
So, although, I wasn't in the office it was a productive day. The greys were thrilled that I was home with them and the den floor was littered with 2 sleeping greys!!!! These are the warm comforts in the dead bitter cold of winter!

No comments: