Monday, November 24, 2008

RGBP'S FRIDAY FIVE: MIX AND STIR

1. Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Do you
actually use it?
Yes, it was a wedding present from the church where my husband, LH
first served as an associate pastor. We'll be married 21 years this
year, so that's how old it is. And it is an all in one: Oster Kitchen
Center - blender, food processor and standing mixer. Love it.
Don't use the food processor much except to ground nuts for Christmas
cookies which I haven't had time to bake in years.

2. And, if so, do you use the fancy things on it? Mine came with a
mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary
disks to julienne things. (used once)
Got the disks too. Usually, I just chop stuff by hand with a knife.

3. Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand held varieties?
The Oster Kitchen Center has a stand mixer that came complete with
dough hooks!!! I use the standing mixer for bread dough and other
larger quantity of dough (like Christmas cookies). I use my Krups
hand mixer for cake dough and to mash potatoes. It also was a wedding
gift and now, gasp! 21 years old!

4. How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
Nope, not very often. I will run my turkey stock through it around
this time every year. Once in a great while, LH might make a daquiri.

5. Finally, what old fashioned non-electric ktichen tool do you
enjoy using the most?
Ohh, I've got lots of gadgets! The whisk is great, my half-moon dough
cutter, wooden spoon, silicone spatula, can drainer lid, my spaetzli
maker (Betty Bossi - plastic container where you put in the ingredients
plunge the plunger up and down and around (not all that easy) and then
pull plunger to top, take cap off the other end, hold over pot of boiling
salted water and push plunger against dough.) Nice neat little spaetzli.
My silpat mat to roll out dough that doesn't stick to it. Oh, what a wonder
that mat is and worth every penny!

BONUs: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you only use at
Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
Two utensils: Metal long fingered short handled forks for
lifting the turkey out of the pan. The metal
baster which LH uses throughout the day to
baste the turkey as it cooks.

No comments: