Friday, November 16, 2012

RGBP'S FRIDAY FIVE: THANKSGIVING SOON!

So this Friday before Thanksgiving, think about Aunt Bert and how she'll celebrate Thanksgiving! And how about YOU?
1. What is your cure for the "mulleygrubs"?
Rubbing my greys! A spot of Swiss chocolate.

2. Where will you be for Thanksgiving?
Right here at home!! With a house filled with savory scent of a turkey roasting!

3. What foods will be served? Which are traditional for your family?
Obviously, a roasted turkey, stuffing with wild & white rice, bread, Sweet
Italian sausage, bacon, turkey stock, white wine, onion, garlic and herbs a
plenty from the garden, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole
compliments of my SIL's (thanks sisters!), turkey gravy and Pumpkin Mousse
Dessert. All served at a table set with real china, crystal and silverware.
A gurgling cod dispenses ice water, white wine in crystal glasses and a
Brown Swiss cow serves half and half for the coffee.

4. How do you feel about Thanksgiving as a holiday?
I enjoy having the family over, small though we are here, and all the great
smells emmanating from the kitchen, entailing two days of cooking, and a
lovely table using our wedding china and crystal and my silverware given to
me from babyhood through age 17 by my Grandma and Godmother. Through the years
I have carved out a routine that makes it all happen. It's the only the holiday
besides New Year that we can host. Christmas is not possible - too tired and
worn out and the same with Easter.

5. In this season of Thanksgiving, what are you grateful for?
LH, of course! My greys, my family and extended family, my friends, a home,
a van that runs, that my therapy is ended, that I have a place to serve part-
time though it is, smaller clothing size, and the best of all happened today!

I went to get my haircut (after refreshing its color last night) and wore my
nearly everyday sterling silver square hoop earrings. I took them off while
the stylist cut my hair and put them back in as I went to pay. Then it was
off to the local grocery store and the W-Mart for just a couple items. I got
home, fed the boys (greys) lunch, made my spinach salad. Then went upstairs
to shower to get all the little hairs off my back and out of my hair. When
I took my jewelry off, lo and behold, the left earring was missing. I was
heartbroke. I wear them everyday when I'm home and have done so for years.
They are my favorite go to pair. I showered furiously. Changed into my
therapy workout clothes to use the gym and left to retrace my steps with
just a wisp of hope that I might find the lost earring. I went to the Hair
Place looked around the parking spots and went inside, all the while looking
at the ground, nothing. I asked if anyone turned in the earring - nope.
I drove to the local grocery store. Looked around the parking spots where
I had parked earlier. Retraced my steps into the store, went to the bathroom
since I had used it and nothing to be seen. I walked through the gift, floral
area just like I had done earlier, but to no avail. Since I didn't have time to
totally walk the entire store (needing to get to my workout) I went up to the
customer service desk and said, "I know this is a long-shot, but did anyone
turn in a silver square hoop earring?" The woman behind the counter lifted
her hand and slid my earring across the counter. I couldn't even believe it.
I showed her my other earring so she knew it was mine.
I mentioned that there were still some honest people left and she said good
people shop there. I thanked her profusely and thanked God even more profusely
for what had been lost was now found and reunited with its sibling and more
profoundly, with me!!! My spirit lifted from the pit into the clouds and I
rejoiced, rejoiced, rejoiced with a heart overflowing with thanksgiving.
So, I am exceedingly thankful to have found my lost earring.

1 comment:

river song said...

this stuffing recipe sounds amazingly wonderful, and what a gift recovering your earring was! Blessed Thanks-giving; peace.