Monday, November 27, 2006

Late Again on Monday - RGBP's Friday Five
Black Friday Five


Reverendmother here...

My husband accompanied my brother this morning to stand on line for a Nintendo Wii. They headed out at oh-dark-thirty this morning but were, sadly, thwarted. There were 30 people in line for 6 units. They are trying to be philosophical about it--"That's the most I was willing to do, so I'm OK with it... imagine the people who waited for hours!" my brother said.

So this is a "Black Friday" Five (aka Buy Nothing Day) in honor of the busiest shopping day of the year:

1. Would you ever/have you ever stood in line for something--tickets, good deals on electronics, Tickle Me Elmo? Nope. Waste of my time, deal or no deal.

2. Do you enjoy shopping as a recreational activity? Yes, actually I do.

3. Your favorite place to browse without necessarily buying anything. TJ Maxx, World Market, Pier 1, art shops.

4. Gift cards: handy gifts for the loved one who has everything, or cold impersonal symbol of all that is wrong in our culture? Handy gifts. I can't buy my father-in-law new pants, he has to try them on himself. With the gift card he can get them. Or groceries, like last year. Normally, I give gifts that I've bought throughout the year when I see something special that I know the particular person will enjoy and appreciate.

5. Discuss the spiritual and theological issues inherent in people coming to blows over a Playstation 3. It is oh so sad to see the greed and selfishness that abounds and that our lives are so shallow when such items become our heart's desire and such behavior is less than civilized. What a sad commentary on our 21st century lives, that we allow the retail sector to manipulate our lives.

No comments: