Monday, August 28, 2006

BACK TO SCHOOL FRIDAY FIVE

1. What is your earliest memory of school?
That would be walking across the street with my sister to school.
Playing duck-duck-goose during recess.

2. Who was a favorite teacher in your early education?
I don't know that I had a favorite. I liked most of my teachers,
except for third grade, Mrs. Cox. My 7th grade teacher, Mrs.
Jelnick was really nice. Mr. Bepko was a hoot, a navy man with
buzz cut. We played a game called railroad. You didn't ever want
to be the caboose, so you had to learn lines from Shakespeare or
who said the line and various others bits of trivia.

3. What do you remember about school "back then" that is different
from what you know about schools now?
No computers!!! Slapping erasers together out the window to clean
the dust chalk off of them. Our parents believed the teachers over
their kids. If you got in trouble in school, there was more to come
at home.

4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song
your learned?
Well, the Times Table. The Pledge of Allegence.

5. Did you ever get into trouble at school? Were there any embarrassing
moments you can share?
I've done embarrassing things my whole life!!!!!
First grade: The teacher has had it with us. Tells us not to talk until
the bell rings. One boy walks up to the front to use the pencil
sharpener. On his way back to his seat, he whispers a question to me.
Being dutiful, I answer his question. Teacher is furious. I plead that
I only answered the question. Teacher said, I should've remained
quiet. I get sent to stand in the corner with flaming red cheeks of pure
mortification. Try to cool the burning cheeks on the cold walls. Vow
not to speak of this at home. My girlfriend's sister is my sister's best
friend. She tells her sister who tells my sister who blabs it to my
folks. Yikes! I get a talking to. What happened to the boy who spoke
first and asked the question - zip, nada, nothing!!!! And the teacher,
was also my Sunday School teacher. I became very quiet in the class
room from that time on through Seminary and beyond.

No comments: