Sunday, January 04, 2015

NEW YEAR - STILL TIRED!

The new year begins and after a restive and quiet Christmas day, it has been anything but restive.
   I did indeed have New Year's Eve Day as a vacation day. I went to the grocery store for some fresh veges and items needed. I partially cleaned house - vacuumed downstairs, mopped, cleaned two bathrooms. I made meatballs, I made a vege dip. I washed broccoli and cauliflower. I made dinner. At 11 pm, I cooked the made meatballs and washed champagne flutes. LH and I had a New Year's champagne toast with warmed panettone and island sweet and sour meatballs. I went to bed at 1 am.
   New Year's Day, we welcomed my SIL's. For breakfast, LH and I had Eggs Benedict and of course, I made the Hollandaise and made breakfast. Then it was onto cooking green beans for the casserole, preparing fresh veges, and setting the table.
   We enjoyed the time with my SIL's and had a gift exchange. The ham turned out fine and we had a good dinner. There was cheesecake for dessert - I should have pulled it out sooner and left it out longer. Next year!
   Since my SIL's have a long ride home, they left around 6 pm.
   I washed the dishes, dried and put them away. I finished deboning the ham. I grated over a pound of cheese for Fondue (on Friday evening), I baked a batch of brownies for dessert. I did those dishes.
I went over my funeral sermon and service for Friday.
   Yes, I had a funeral on Friday. I left at 9:30 am and got home at 3 pm. That was without lunch (which I confess I went through the drive-thru for a value sandwich). The committal was a 40 minute drive each way.
    When I got home, I re-sanitized two bathrooms and put up fresh bathroom towels. I set the table for Fondue - with fondue plates, forks, etc. I pulled out bread bowl and dessert serving plate and plates. I sat down for a half hour.
   My niece and her beau arrived with his dog - a little boston terrier and a girl dog. Our greys were, of course, intrigued by her. They seemed to get on ok. I served some vegies and dip, prosciutto and olives and cut bread & garlic for fondue.
    Made the fondue which was simply delicious and we ate the whole pot along with every last clove of garlic in it!!!! (at least 12 cloves).
    For dessert there were brownies and we played two games of Scrabble. I was soundly beat both times much to my chagrin. We played against an expert (niece's beau) and all I had were R's, I's and N's with two blank tiles. Nothing of much value and little to make with such tiles.
   Breakfast on Saturday was pancakes and coffee and conversation with fresh cantaloupe.
   After my niece, her beau and dog left, it was clean up time. And a quick trip to grocery store and gas station. I went over Sunday's reader's theatre, prayers, etc.
   I took a nap!
   I received a call about another funeral - this Wednesday. Sigh.
   On this first Sunday of the New Year, I was just tired. Maybe, I'm feeling my age and simply can't do and do anymore as much as I used to. Will have to ponder that one.
   My star gift word for the year is "Peace". Hmmmm....I could use some. And I suppose a call and challenge from God is in that word as well. Will see how I can come to live out that word in the new year. So far, it hasn't started out all that peaceful.
   Did I mention that Lent is 6 weeks away? I'm already stressing over that! What to do this year!!!!
   Peace. Peace for now. Peace for this moment.

No comments: