Tuesday, May 27, 2008

NEW TENANTS-
Over the weekend, I had put some mealworms out for the bluebirds and was peeling some bark off our River Clump Birch when I noticed a bird's nest. Looks like there will be some baby Robins sometime in the future. No eggs yet, but the nest looks near completion!
Planted a butterfly bush, lupine and another larkspur. Sure hope they take and bloom.
Back in April, I planted 5 Milkweed seeds in a wee clay pot. Finally, two seeds began to grow. Now, of all things, there are 2 more fragile green stalks and one very wee green sprout appearing. That means all 5 seeds took even though they were a year and a half old. I don't know how I can plant these wee tender plants beyond our fence by the meadow. The weeds and grasses are aggressive and tall and would choke out these tiny milkweed. I don't know how they will ever grow enough to bear pods.
In the meanwhile, I water and set the pot outside and tend these fragile sprouts. Eventually, I will put them in a bigger pot.
Maybe, I should start the seeds in the fall indoors and perhaps, by spring they will be big enough and strong enough to be planted outdoors and not be overwhelmed by the meadow vegetation.
In the herb garden, I planted Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon (looking a bit weakly), Basil, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Hyssop and a little Bay tree! The chamomile have run with abandon through the garden, the garlic should've been thinned last fall and didn't, the chives are beginning to bud. I also planted tomatoes. So far, I have lost 1 Basil - I always lose the first one every year, and 3 tomato plants - either the first few days were too wet or as I suspect, a little too much tomato food fell into the hole and burned the roots. So, I have a back-up Basil to be planted this weekend (surely well after the frost date) and 3 new tomato plants. I usually lose 1-2 tomato plants every year as well. Go figure.
There is such a joy in planting these wonderful herbs and being able to pick leaves fresh off the plant or enjoy a turkey with my own sage, or chicken or lamb with homegrown Rosemary. And there's nothing as good as a ripe tomato fresh off the vine. At least with the herbs and tomatoes, when you plant them, eventually there is fruit by the end of the growing season. In ministry, it seems that all I do is plant seeds, and prepare the soil and rarely see any fruit. That always remains in God's care and hands.
The flower beds are lush and the poppies should be blooming within a week. The pin cushions have grown all over and have buds, the Bee Balm are growing up, the Baby's Breath has buds, and the larkspur has a bud. The Coneflowers and Brown-eyed Susans are growing well. The Siberian Iris have buds. June should be a colorful month and I am looking forward to a profusion of color gracing the front of our house.
May God be bringing good things to sprout and grow and eventually to bloom in the garden of your life.

No comments: