Saturday, December 09, 2006

Fa-la-la-la-la, La Friday Five

Reverendmother here... those of you who read my blog know I have a love-hate relationship with the 24/7 Christmas music we're subjected treated to in stores and radio (in the U.S. at least). It gets too sentimentally sticky-sweet sometimes, yet I find myself unable to resist it. Nothing says "it's Christmas" to me like John Denver and Rolf the Dog singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." So...

1. A favorite 'secular' Christmas song.
Does Carol of the Bells count, even though I can't sing it?

2. Christmas song that chokes you up (maybe even in spite of yourself--the cheesier the better)O Holy Night

3. Christmas song that makes you want to stuff your ears with chestnuts roasted on an open fire. Dogs barking Jingle Bells. How annoying is that?!!?

4. The Twelve Days of Christmas: is there *any* redeeming value to that song? Discuss. I like that it points out that there is a Season of Christmas which lasts 12 days and isn't merely one day and that's it. I never could keep all the maids milking and lords aleaping and drummers drumming straight.

5. A favorite Christmas album
Mannheim Steamroller, 3 Harps for Christmas, Maggie Sanstone,and Ancient Noel and believe it or not, almost ashamed to admit it: Barry Manilow.

No comments: