Monday, December 01, 2014

DISAPPOINTMENT

I am still reeling somewhat that L church voted not to enter into relationship with the day care center.
There was much to be done in a very short time frame - before the end of the year. But I believe, deep in my heart, that God placed before them an opportunity from which they backed away.
   I feel really bad for the day care center that is still scrambling to find space, and may have to close down and let employees go right after Christmas.
   This congregation had another opportunity to give space to an NA group which got squashed almost immediately.
   Every time, I point out that having a presence in the community is important, and that growing churches have buildings that are in near constant use. And who knows, what creative possibilities God is presenting them with. All on deaf ears. There is a resistance and perhaps even fear for their
future. They will not survive long term into the future. One neighboring church will closing the end of December.
   We do resist God. We make excuses. We rationalize. We put extra roadblocks in the way. We are proud. We are set in our ways.
    I have had very few positions, situations come along my way, that I haven't viewed as an opportunity God is presenting and I best give it all my prayerful consideration and attention, even when I feel unqualified for it, or ill-equipped.(which is most of the time.)
    I do believe that a more motivated congregation would have flown with it.
   Maybe the embers have grown old and cold. I still keep fanning the flames whenever God presents an opportunity. Perhaps, they want to die. But don't seem quite there yet.
    I keep thinking of that joke, where in a great flood, a person was on there roof praying desparately to God as the water rose. A rowboat comes by and tells the person to get in. The person replies, "God will save me!"
   Then a motorboat comes by and tells the person to hop in. The person replies, "God will save me!"
   Along comes a helicopter, and a rope ladder is thrown down. The person waves them on, saying "God will save me."
    The person drowns and is at the Pearly Gates. He sees St. Peter and asks, "What happened? God was supposed to save me!"
    St. Peter looks at him and goes, "Well, God sent two boats and helicopter!"
 So there we are, two boats.
 Wonder when the helicopter will come by!!!!!!

No comments: