Thursday, February 20, 2014

A SNOWY BIRTHDAY

Yes, it was a very snowy birthday this year! More than was forecast.
I had hoped to spend the day out and about. But, when I woke up, all was covered in over 5 inches of snow on top of what we've already had. I was going nowhere.
  So, I did what I said I was not going to do on my birthday. I cleaned house. One of my least favorite things to do on my birthday. Oh well, at least by late afternoon, I could enjoy the benefits of my labor.
   The day got better after a call from my cousin across the pond. Although, she had some not so good news to report. But called to wish me happy birthday. That was sweet of her.
   After I finished cleaning and was preparing to finally get to the bank and post office - for by now LH had blown out the driveway, sidewalks, shoveled the apron after the snowplows came through - the phone rang again! This time my niece calling all the way from Ethiopia!!! Just made my entire day. I haven't talked to her since Thanksgiving although I email her ordinary news from here every week. I can't wait to see her again - hopefully April, after Easter.
   I did manage to go to the Post Office, the bank, the gas station. And shortly afterwards, LH took me to dinner.
   When we returned there was a slice of triple chocolate cake for each of us. And it was creamy, moist and oh, so delectable!!! There were even candles on the cake.
   Hard to believe that I am so middle-aged. Most days I don't feel that old. Other days, I feel 80!
   It came awfully quick. I remember my parents at this age. I remember my aunts and uncles at this age. I don't feel as old as they. Perhaps, because I never had children. There is still a youngish child in me. Children age you. In more ways than one. But I don't have that yardstick to measure my age by - how old your children are and are getting. I can only measure by my niece and nephew and somehow it isn't quite the same.
   There is still much I'd like to accomplish and yet I know I won't get to it all. I will content myself with doing what I can in this time of life - where it takes me longer to get things done and the energy doesn't always last as long.
   In the meanwhile, I'm off to spend my day out and about - delayed from Tuesday. I have a couple coupons for my birthday and will see if I find something to redeem them on. If not, it's just good to out and look around. Eye candy, if you will. And pick up a couple of things for others.
   Thanks be to God, I am still here. Thanks be to God, I have had another birthday to celebrate, if only quietly. Thanks be to God, for the adventure of the year before me!

No comments: