Monday, January 18, 2010

FLAT TIRE -
So yesterday on my way to visit a parishioner, my left back tire just blew. I moved over to the wee little berm there was on the two lane road. I put on my flashers. When it was safe, I got out to look at the tire - it was blown, like non-repairable blown.
Got back in the car, called the National Emergency Car Service Club and was told help would be there within an hour. I called the parishioner and apologized, and rescheduled the visit for today. About 45 minutes later, the tow truck appears. The whole time I waited in the car, desperately praying that no semi-truck would hit me.
I backed the van into an extra wide driveway and the competent young fellow went straight to work - found the spare tire, jacked up the van and in almost no time had the spare tire on. He declared the tire unrepairable and cautioned me, "no hot rodding" on the spare tire. Since my tires were only a year and a half old, I had to drive into the Shopping Mecca of this area about 1/2 hour away. Took it bit longer as I had to keep under 55 miles per hour.
Arrived at the National Tire Store, where they were busy. So, I had to wait and then wait some more. I left there about 5:45 pm in time for some supper and a quick stop to a craft store to pick up some clay. I got home around 7:30 pm.
The whole time, I didn't panic, didn't rage, and just let it be as it was. I calmly called the Auto Club, and parishioner. I calmly drove to the Tire Store. I calmly waited until they replaced my tire and paid the $90.00 on the credit card. I called LH and let him know.
I don't know where or why I was so calm. Usually, I panic some, then I get angry at my day and time being totally trashed by such a thing. It didn't happen this time at all.
Is it my age? Is is that even in this dark night, I know that God is with me? Is it that because of the ennormity of the Haitian earthquake and the overwhelming suffering, that this seemed piddlysquat in comparison?
Perhaps, it is a combination of all these things. Whatever it was, I liked my response. Calm, cool, collected. Not shaken, panicked or raging. Just an acceptance of what is. Such things happen. What can you do? You go along with it, get it solved as quickly as possible and go on your way.
Now, if only this will translate to all other areas of my life - it would make things so much easier!!!!

No comments: