Monday, February 11, 2008

RGBP'S FRIDAY FIVE ON MONDAY: What Are You Doing for Lent?


1. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras and/or Ash Wednesday this week? How?
Attended pancake dinner at LH's church on Shrove Tues.
Held a joint Ash Wednesday service with our Methodist neighbors
at their church.

2. What was your most memorable Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday/Lent?
Memorable? I suppose 2005 when I had surgery on Shrove Tuesday to
repair the quad muscle I tore off my knee when I spilled down
icy steps. Spent Ash Wednesday in the most pain I ever had in
my life in the hospital.

3. Did you/your church/your family celebrate Lent as a child? If not, when and how did you discover it?
There was not as much emphasis on Lent when growing up, at least not in
the Presby church, although I was surrounded by Roman Catholics. Mom
made Fasnachtchuechli every year (dough stretched paper thin over the knees,
deep fried, drained and then sprinkled with powered sugar.
Maundy Thursday we attended church and had communion.
Discovered Lent in Seminary and as I served as prison chaplain.
4. Are you more in the give-up camp, or the take-on camp, or somewhere in between?
Usually the take-on camp.
5. How do you plan to keep Lent this year?
By dwelling with a Lenten word a day in prayer and contemplation.
And also, holding my tongue with LH and being less critical. That's
the plan at any rate. So far so good!

No comments: