Tuesday, June 11, 2019

ANNUAL MARATHON WEEKEND

   As I stare down at my upcoming marathon weekend, I am now a great-aunt again to two beautiful twin girls - Simone and Maya. Hoping to get to see the this summer and for sure in November over Thanksgiving.
   This weekend I will do my annual marathon - no, I am not running! And certainly not with my foot that is still healing!
   The marathon is the L Synod Assembly. I will be getting up at 6:15 am Fri/Sat.. Then LH & I will drive (20-30 mins) to nearest bigger city to the convention hall. There will be worship and meeting until noon when I will go back to the parking garage, drive home (have to use a different way since the usual on -ramp to the Interstate is under construction. Most of the main roads and Interstates in this city are under construction and have been for 2 two years already. But this year, they closed down the ramp)
feed the dog and let him out, wolf down my box lunch which I pick up before I leave the convention center, lock things back up and drive as fast as I get away with back to the convention center, park the car in the garage and make my way into the center for more meeting, workshop, voting and closing worship. Then drive home, pick up something not so healthy on our way home, feed the dog, let him out, eat dinner, and I know I will be icing my foot! Then early to bed. Up early Sat. morning, drive into city, worship, meeting, workshop, meeting and worship. They go til 1:30 pm with no lunch. Everyone is dying for lunch by noon and yet the schedule goes on. Then the drive home, a throw together lunch of whatever is in the fridge, write new words of invitation for Sat. worship communion, go over my sermon, fill in people's names for prayers, and remember that the silver Hershey kisses and a container come with for Father's Day give-away. Hope to sneak in a quick nap and then leave around 4 pm for church, set up communion, turn on lights, unlock doors, worship at 5 pm, clean up communion, turn off lights, lock all doors, return home. Go over to next-door neighbor who's daughter graduated HS and attend the party. Hope there's still food left at that point to for my dinner. Come back home and ice my foot. Up early Sunday morning for worship - the usual prep for worship, worship, and then turning off lights and locking the doors. I'll be ready for a major snooze when I get home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   Since serving L churches as an interim - I've been doing this for 8 years now!!! I think the older I get the more tiring it is! And I don't move as fast with my foot.
   I pray God's strength to endure this annual marathon and rest for my weary body and soul!

No comments: