Saturday, August 29, 2009

THIS MONTH

This month I volunteered and helped a Lutheran clergywoman during a time of transition in a parish of three city Lutheran churches. From gluing glass pebbles onto to card stock, to home-bound and nursing home visitation with and without communion, proof-reading (and still missing errors!!!), leading devotions and being present at the weekly food and clothing distribution center and other odds and ends, it was a good to be of some help and to reconnect with some folks who I haven't seen in five years. I served the one church as an second interim for 6 months.
It was also helpful not be home 24/7 with LH, who is slowly starting to chafe at being without a call. The last church wasn't even interested in interviewing him - special redevelopment situation. So, the waiting continues, the wondering what God is longing to bring us and how to prepare for what yet awaits us.
I have accepted a 3/4 time interim position that will begin in 2 months and will necessitate my renting an efficiency apartment hopefully, for not too much. I am not looking forward to living away from home and only being home 2 nights a week. I will miss the greys terribly while I sit in my apartment pining away for them and for my own bed. It will intail bringing laundry home and cleaning house and an apartment.
However, some income is better than no income and the mortgage and utilities still need to be paid, as well as taxes, auto insurance and we do need health insurance.
It is hard to hold onto hope, to remain trusting and faithful as this unintentional sabbatical continues for us both. I will use the time now to prepare my spirit and self for the periods of being away from home- adjustint my attitude and planning what all I will need to take with - clothing, toiletries and books, etc.
Hard to imagine that life could change so drastically at age 50 and one feels like a graduate student all over again broke and unknowing.
Time to do some mending and shortening of pants and a skirt. Things I've put off and need to be done.
I'm sure there must be a ripe tomato or two to pick off the vine. I anticipate the days ahead will be quiet ones as I take care of the house, read, and tend to things long neglected. I pray that something will open for LH before too long and will need to be gentle with him as well as myself.

No comments: