Tuesday, March 23, 2021

CRUNCH TIME

 begins as we head into Palm Sunday and Holy Week. Perhaps, one blessing of the whole COVID lockdown last Lent was that I had Good Friday service and Maundy Thursday mostly planned out and done and then didn't have services. So, I am able to use them this year and that saved me a whole lot of time and anxiety of what to do this year! I am grateful. Just have to work up a children's sermon for kids that haven't been showing up in church services yet. I am working on Easter Sunday sermon and children's sermon. I will put together little snack bags with some Easter give-aways for the children who attend Easter morning worship. I've also been working on our Joy Sunday, again which we didn't do last year with everything so topsy-turvy. Usually, we have an open mike for folks to share a good, clean joke, but given the COVID circumstances of physical distancing and wearing masks and my having to hold the microphone to them, it didn't seem like a good idea to that. So, I worked up a newscast with Miriam Mirth the news anchor on the different repeated sightings of the risen Christ. The cast(all me with props) will feature the Traffic Report with Luke Skywatcher, a commercial for Peace of Heart Financial Institution, a preview of a new cooking show, What a Dish with Julia Wild and a last breaking news report. I had fun with it and for the traffic report, commercial and cooking show - used resources by Martha Bolton that I tweaked a bit. I'm hoping that not only the bits are funny, but just my going from space to space in the chancel and putting on my props will garner a laugh or two! I think we all need Holy Humor or Joy Sunday especially given the past year of pandemic and our slow emergence for the darkness into the light of new life. It will do our bodies and spirits good to chuckle and be reminded of the joy that Easter brings and the risen Christ brings us. Joy should be a part of our faith, always, even in the midst of the pandemic, there were those with a great sense of humor and I pinned many of the funny observations. I did use those funny observations in my newsletter article last year - in place of Joy Sunday, knowing folks still needed to be reminded of the joy of Easter and the joy of our faith even in times of struggle and hardship.

    Having time to be creative and to have fun has been good for my soul. May you, even in this crunch time, know the joy that is ours in faith in the risen Christ. That is something to truly celebrate!

No comments: