Monday, December 21, 2020

CHRISTMAS

 will soon be here and it will be the very first time since Seminary that I will actually be home Christmas Eve. This year we are recording our Christmas Eve service on Wednesday evening which makes it easier for our 4 choir people to be here to sing the carols.

    It will feel weird to pretend that Wed is Christmas Eve and it will feel weird to be home on Christmas - just the greyhound & I. LH has 2 in-person worship services that evening when he is used to just one. I usually have 2 worship services Christmas Eve but this year just one. I'll play some Christmas music, maybe light a candle and check on the M church service - also pre-recorded.

   LH and I are used to quiet Christmas Days, lounging around, unwrapping gifts, grazing on snacks, making calls to family, and taking an afternoon nap. Very relaxing. M church has given the staff the week between Christmas and New Year's off - no phone calls to make or cards to write. I wrote about 52 cards for Christmas to the homebound and care facility people, as well as staff and some who live alone. I'm taking the Sunday after Christmas off (that makes 2 out of 4 Sundays I had off this year), so this will be I pray the most laid back end of year, ever. After, 36 years of ordained ministry - it's kinda nice. But weird.

   I got the family packages wrapped and mailed, the Christmas letter in English and German done and sent along with Christmas cards. Just have one bag of gifts to be-ribbon and bow, and one last little gift for LH to wrap and ribbon. Staff gift bags are done and all but one delivered. Everything got done in time.

   LH got a gift card from the church he is serving as an interim. I, as usual, get nothing from this Lutheran church. They are lacking in generosity and giving. I've tried during my time here to be an example of that - but somehow they just don't get it. If it weren't for me neither the secretary or organist would receive a thing. I can't afford more than $25.00 eatery gift cards when there's 3 at my church plus LH's secretary. That's a hundred bucks out of my pocket and the church does nothing. It is so very sad that they have not learned to show gratitude and appreciation. There are times I weep for them, because until they learn gratitude they will continue to struggle, to complain and feel they never have enough or are enough, though God tells them are enough. 4 years I have been here and have preached and been an example and yet...Congregations are slow to learn, to change, to overcome their DNA. I pray for them. Maybe in the New Year, I will leap around the chancel to show how free I am being grateful and thankful and what joy it brings to the soul! They would probably call the Bishop's office to report me and have me committed!!! But it might be fun to try.

   So, as weird as it will be this Christmas Eve, I am grateful for a quiet, contemplative Christmas Eve where I can make my way to the manger and behold the wondrous gift of God's love born to me and to all the world in Christ Jesus. Wishing you a blessed Christmas and a hopeful, healthy New Year.

Peace and Joy to all.





No comments: