Thursday, October 31, 2019

RAINBOW BRIDGE

We've had to walk another beloved dog across Rainbow Bridge. Renoir our grey had renal failure and a growth on his hind leg that kept getting bigger. The vet said in another 1-2 weeks that could've begun to split. He only ate barely one can of prescription only kidney disease dog food. Even with the appetite stimulant, which I was reluctant to give him. He had lost much weight and was down to 56 pounds. He was not real happy.
   And, oh, how the house is quiet. No click, click on the tile floor, no barking when the garage door goes up, no cold wet nose nudging me for a tidbit or attention. No warm breath on me. No one following me into the bathroom. No more rump rubs, or huggies and rubbies. The dog bed is empty where once Renoir was velcroed to it - his favorite spot in the world. It was his safe space, comfort space and mostly that is where you found him. No more 10 pm where's my late treat. No saying goodnight or good morning. No more prepping meals for him or slipping in some table scraps. It's not much coming home without an inquisitive nose waiting for you.
   And, oh, how my heart aches.
   I haven't been dogless in 31 years or without a greyhound in 30 years.
   Renoir was just shy of 13 years old -pretty good for grey. He chose his own name, and lived on his terms, quiet and retiring. But a good grey, polite most of the time and very quiet.
   For now, I grieve, wrapped in sadness and loneliness. LH has been quiet too. At least he was with me when we took him to the vet.
   LH asked me a week ago what I want for Christmas. I told him last night - a new greyhound. and a chance to give another retired racer a forever home. I could be given no greater gift.
   RIP Renoir. I love you. I miss you. You are forever in my heart.

No comments: