Thursday, July 10, 2014

FRUSTRATED

   It's been a bit frustrating that the church I'm serving has not met its expenses but one month so far this year. I know that many churches have the same problem but usually Easter month is one where income surpasses expenses. Not for us.
   Now contracts will need to be renewed for the organist, choir director and custodian. I'm sure the organist will want a raise although the church is not a position to offer one. He will probably move on to another church. It's not like there's an over abundance of organists these days. I will hate to see him go.
   It is such a struggle and I feel so helpless.
   Then it came to light that a long time member claimed she gave to the church all last year and didn't receive a giving statement. She claimed her giving on her taxes. The financial secretary related that she didn't get a statement because she didn't give anything and she has all the envelopes that were given in offering last year to prove it. They didn't even prepare a box of envelopes for her last year since she didn't give. Then she get asking about the envelopes and they gave her box.
   She is not the only one who doesn't give. There are at least 2 others that I know about who don't give.
  How can the church meet their expenses (which are really pared down to bare bones) when folks are not giving or aren't invested enough to give. Perhaps in a larger that is not such an issue, but in a small church, every dollar counts. Folks have been generous in extra giving - ie: yogurt parfait sales to fund the school district's special needs children's outings, or Lenten food drive, or Souper Bowl.
  I know it's not all up to me, but it wears on me. And I pray about it. And I don't have the answers.
So, I will keep praying and praying for an answer.
   Then yet another family has transferred. This time because they like the more traditional service better. The other family who I've never met transferred to a church closer to their home since the mom is elderly.
    We have had one couple worship with us regularly and attend the Wednesday morning Bible Study regularly. They have been a blessing. They haven't formerly joined since they are still members of another church further away of the same denomination.
    It is a struggle. And so I keep struggling with them. And I try to remain hopeful. And I keep encouraging. And I know that ultimately, it is all in God's hands.

No comments: