Tuesday, February 27, 2007

DID YOU CATCH IT IN THE OUTLOOK?

I found it disturbing that in a recent issue of the PO a comment was made about the EPC. The quote went something like this, as one minister spoke to another about the new wineskins presbyterians coming together with the EPC: "You can do what you want with your church and by the time anybody notices you'll be retired."
It hit me in the face like cold water and then burned. What makes any pastor think the church is theirs? It is only the community you have been called to serve. It is not yours. It does not belong to you. You are there to serve. To me, that doesn't mean doing what I want, but through prayer, discernment and listening to God, what God is calling us to do together.
Not only is this an egotistical statement which I find chilling, but furthermore, it displays an absolute disregard for accountability to a higher governing body, which burns me up.
I think back on my ordination vows, specifically:
Will you be a minister of the Word and Sacrament in obedience to Jesus Christ, under the authority of Scripture and continually guided by our confessions?
Will you be governed by our church's polity and will you abid by its discipline? Will you be a friend among your colleagues in ministry, working with them, subject to the ordering of God's Word and Spirit?
Apparently, those vows mean little to this gent who feels he can do anything he wants with his church and then has the gall to tell another to go and do likewise.
I found the comment and the attitude very disturbing and hope that others in the church found it so as well.
Did others of you catch it and were you as disturbed as I was?

No comments: