Tuesday, September 05, 2006

FRIDAY FIVE - DRIVING

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear your mind? a means to an end?
a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil?
the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.
I do enjoy driving for the most part. Sometimes, I will drive a bit
to clear my mind, create space between shut-in visits, and often my
commute or little drive during the day also is some of my prayer
time.
Yes, driving sometimes becomes a means to an end and a necessary
evil when I'm in a hurry, have to get somewhere I'm not thrilled
about going or am dealing with orange barrels and construction or
am stuck in traffic. Not too much of a problem here.
Here it is 2006 and all the Weekly Readers I read in Elementary
school said that by now we would live more space-agey and have
little hover crafts or Jetson-like crafts. I'm waiting....I'm still
driving a mini-van dependent on gas. So where's my hover craft?

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster?Slower? Have you ever
gotten a ticket?
Yes, I usually drive speed limit and shade faster (5 mph over limit).
LH usually drives just under the speed limit because limit means
limit, which you are not to exceed. Yes, I've gotten a couple of
tickets, in Indiana, in Ohio. Been fortunate in that I haven't had
a speeding ticket in several years. Did get a parking ticket in IL
while parked by a church during Synod Assembly. Had to show
up in court and it was thrown out.
3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of
the experience?
Not possible here in the country. I suppose I could take a horse
and buggy ride but that would really lengthen my 17 mile
commute!
I did take the bus to HS and it was fine. I've ridden the Bus and "El"
while in Seminary. And I never was mugged. That happened in
Sem parking lot!!!!!!
4. Complete this sentence: ______has the worst drivers I've ever
experienced.
Let's see, that would be Florida or Italy. They can be soooo slow
in Florida and sofast in Italy, course in Italy you're contending with
Vespas and motorcycles, bicycles, cars, and trucks on narrow
streets, one way streets, piazzas, and just try to find a parking
space in Florence, I dare you!!!!
5. The city with the 6th longest average commute is 29 minutes. How
does your personal commute rate?
Well, I'd be pretty close with 25 minutes, unless I get stuck behind
a farm tractor, retiree tourists heading to Amish Land, or an ODOT
truck spray painting the yellow lines down the middle of the road!

No comments: